Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Idea #15: Read a great book.

I stole this idea from NPR, which recommends Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and A Room with a View. I recommend anything about a woman having a midlife crisis and traveling the world, which may sound limiting but has been the theme of the last few books I've read, including Eat Pray Love, Without Reservations, and Tales of a Female Nomad.

What is it about a woman throwing her entire life out the window and starting over abroad, where dozens of attractive men are waiting to seduce her and even more cafes are awaiting her longing gaze. How can you not imagine yourself there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lord. Two comments in one day. I feel like such a stalker.

Anyways, I love love loved Eat Pray Love and, as for women throwing everything away to start anew, I call it Under the Tuscan Sun-syndrome, and my god is it attractive. It has something to do with spontaneity and excitement and newness. With so many of us trapped in jobs where we feel overworked and underappreciated, it only makes sense that we'd daydream about jumping ship for something completely impractical.

Kimberly said...

that's interesting, you're right, it did seem to start with under the tuscan sun...